If maintained properly, the Mosquito Magnet® can run at its best for many years. When run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week the propane tank and attractant last a full 21 days.
If replaced in a timely manner you will optimize your catch rate and break the breeding cycle of mosquitoes in your yard.
Be sure to start running your mosquito trap before mosquitoes start propagating. Perhaps you're wondering "when does mosquito season start?" Once the temperature reaches 50°F consistently, mosquito eggs that remained dormant during the winter will begin hatching. Female mosquitoes that have spent the summer in protected areas like basements and trees are now ready to come out and lay their eggs. Make sure that you're ready!
This map shows you the average start time for your area.
Mosquito Magnet® Start-Up Tips
- Remove the trap cover or bag from the Mosquito Magnet®, and let the trap fully dry out before starting your mosquito trap. If there is a lot of dampness, place the trap in the sun for a couple of days before starting.
- Reattach regulator hose to tank.
- Reattach the power adaptor (if applicable).
- If your Mosquito Magnet® is equipped with the Quick-Clear valve (for traps manufactured in 2003 or after), we recommend that this preventive maintenance be performed prior to starting.
- Turn the propane tank on, and proceed with the standard startup instructions. Be sure to start the season with a new net and new attractant cartridge.
Factors Affecting the Start of Mosquito Season
When does mosquito season start? With the increase in overall temperatures, mosquitoes are hatching earlier in the spring and the length of the “mosquito season” has become extended. One particular mosquito species has shortened the time needed for it to develop and reproduce, making more mosquitoes in a year – this is a result of the Northeast region of the United States warming by only 1°F!
Not only are mosquitoes emerging earlier as warmer weather arrives sooner, they are also staying around longer as the first frost is delayed. The first frost, which usually kills the mosquitoes or sends them into hiding for the winter, has been occurring later than usual in some regions of the country.
Mosquitoes can be particularly troublesome when a drought occurs resulting in street drains and water sources shrinking and becoming stagnant. Mosquitoes love this type of situation for their egg laying.
To further exacerbate this problem, a rainfall after a drought allows for mosquito eggs to hatch and larvae to emerge. Larvae that are found in recovering smaller ponds often do not have any predators to limit their numbers. Fish that normally eat them have either died during the drought or do not live in such ponds.
These weather conditions can affect mosquito emergence in your region. Being prepared for mosquitoes before they arrive in your neighborhood is the best preventative method for any homeowner. With outdoor mosquito control equipment, you can be ready when mosquito season starts to combat those infectious vectors so they don’t make a fun summer season miserable for your family, pets, and visitors.
- Turn off your Mosquito Magnet®.
- Turn off and disconnect the regulator from the propane tank.
- Place the regulator in a plastic bag and carefully tie the bag closed. This is to prevent dirt, debris and insects from clogging the regulator.
- Disconnect the battery (Note: Liberty Plus and 2004 Pro & Pro Plus models only) and place in a plastic bag.
- If your product is equipped with the Quick-Clear valve, it is recommended that this preventive maintenance be performed prior to storage.
- Place trap cover over the unit and secure the velcro strips. This will keep insects from hibernating inside and clogging the funnel or fans. This will also prevent dust and moisture from accumulating in the unit.
During the off-season, we suggest storing mosquito traps from Mosquito Magnet® in either a garage or shed to protect it from the elements.
Any open attractant cartridges should be removed and discarded. The net should also be discarded prior to storing mosquito traps.
Learn how to start your mosquito trap in the spring.
Follow these steps below every 21 days and use them as your normal maintenance schedule.
1. Replace Your Attractant.
Using an attractant is critical to the performance of your Mosquito Magnet®. The attractant cartridge should be replaced every 21 days. After 21 days of use, the cartridge appears the same; however, it will no longer be effective as the lure will have been released.
The catch rate will be reduced if the attractant is not changed.
2. Use the Quick-Clear Valve.
It is recommended that you use the Quick-Clear Valve after every propane tank change to prevent the nozzle from getting clogged. Some areas of the country may have what we refer to as "dirty gas". Dirty gas is caused when a propane manufacturer does not thoroughly filter the impurities from the propane. Using the Quick-Clear Valve after each tank change should help alleviate this problem.
3. Replace the Mosquito Net.
If the net is clogged, torn or damaged in any way, it must be replaced. During months of a reduced catch rate it is still necessary to replace your net as pollen, dust and dirt can prohibit airflow and prevent your trap from working at peak efficiency. To order replacement nets and other accessories, please visit our web store.
4. Refill Propane Tank.
Have your propane tank refilled by an authorized propane dealer. It's recommended that you do not use a tank swapping service. If you have a new tank, ask the propane dealer to "purge" it as there may be air present in a new tank.
5. Check The Side Vents for Bugs.
Removing and checking the inside of the side vents to ensure that there are no bugs stuck to the inside of the vent will maximize air flow thru the trap. Heavily clogged vents will reduce your vacuum and your catch.
6. Keep The Trap Clean.
Periodically wipe down the outside of the long-lasting mosquito trap with clean water and a damp cloth. For outdoor mosquito control that is long-lasting, CO2 mosquito traps must be maintained properly.
Protect your family, pets and guests from disease-carrying mosquitoes with a Mosquito Magnet® trap - the leading long-term, scientifically-proven mosquito control solution.