Maintenance and Storage Tips for Mosquito Traps
Your Mosquito Magnet® mosquito trap is built to last many seasons, keeping mosquitoes at bay while you enjoy your yard! That’s why proper seasonal maintenance and storage is so important. Just like a car needs routine maintenance to keep you on the road, your mosquito trap needs love and care to keep catching mosquitoes for years to come. - See more at: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/articles/mosquito-traps-maintenance-storage#sthash.kYsqBq0Z.dpuf
Mosquito Trap Maintenance
Following the 21-day maintenance schedule is the best way to ensure efficiency and a good catch. To keep on-track, you can download our maintenance schedule and fill-in the dates on which you do each task. Alternatively, mark out 21 day cycles on your calendar.
- Attractants: The catch rate will be reduced if the attractant is not changed every 21 days (for Lurex and Octenol customers). While the cartridge may look the same, the lure has been released over the course of the cycle and will no longer give off the scent that attracts mosquitoes.
- Quick-Clear Valve: Your Mosquito Magnet® has a Quick-Clear Valve which should be used to clean the nozzle after every propane tank refill. Quick-Clear Cartridges help to clean out the line to keep propane flowing freely to your trap.
- Nets: Nets should be changed - especially if torn or damaged in any way. Even during lower mosquito-activity months, nets are still going to collect dust and pollen, prohibiting airflow.
- Propane: Regularly refill your propane tank – it is recommended that you do not use a tank-swapping service, but rather have your tank refilled by an authorized propane dealer. - See more at: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/articles/mosquito-traps-maintenance-storage#sthash.kYsqBq0Z.dpuf
- Cleaning: Check inside the vents, making sure that no bugs or other debris have clogged these areas. Keeping the vent clean will ensure maximum airflow. Also be sure to wipe down the exterior surfaces of the trap with a damp cloth.
When mosquito season comes to an end and it’s time to pack away your Mosquito Magnet®, follow these steps to be sure that your trap is ready-to-go next season:
- Power down the Mosquito Magnet® and turn off and disconnect the regulator from the propane tank.
- Seal the regulator in its own plastic bag to prevent dirt and debris from clogging it during storage.
- Disconnect the battery from your mosquito trap and store in a separate plastic bag. NOTE: Only Executive and Commander models have rechargeable batteries. If you have the Independence trap, remove the four C-cell batteries and dispose.
- Use the Quick-Clear Valve and cartridges to clear out the propane line before storage.
- Cover your mosquito trap to keep insects from hibernating inside and clogging the funnel or fans. This will also prevent dust and moisture from accumulating in the trap.
- Store your mosquito trap in a garage or shed to protect it from the elements. Be sure to remove and dispose of any attractants left over in your trap.
Follow the above best practices to keep your Mosquito Magnet® in ship-shape for years to come! Don’t forget to sign up for our e-Newsletter to receive exclusive deals and sales!